Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Girl Stories

I read this book today at work. It's so slow that, unless we have a project to do or books to shelve, we're allowed to read. But whatever we read we have to write a book review and then post it on the shelf under the book. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about - shelf talkers. Heh.

Anyway, I am only allotted about 6 lines in a 3"x4" space, so here's what I wrote:
    This book cracked me up. Although Lauren comes of age in the '90s, her stories can be applied to my life in the early 80's. From worrying about what to wear, to wondering if the "cute boy" will ask her to dance, Lauren nails female teen angst on the head. She worries about fashion, boys, social ranking, and most of all, fitting in. "Girl Stories" had me laughing out loud, it's that funny. Don't believe me? Read the section devoted to her obsession with Morrissey and you'll see what I mean.

The entire book takes place in Boston and Allston, which is pretty cool. Another funny part is when she and her friends go to the Garment District (although the name has been changed in the book) and she says that the clothes are supposed to smell like a morgue because that's what makes them so punk! Ha! That store really smells bad.

So, yeah, go buy it. I mean, if you like graphic novels like I do. It's hysterical and made me feel like a 13 year old again, just trying to fit in.

No comments: