Wednesday, September 26, 2007

More on Taking of Pelham 123

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) really is an awesome movie. The Hubs and I saw it at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge, MA in 2003 (I think). To be honest, I didn't think I'd like it, but I ended up leaving the theater totally happy.

But now I hear that it will be remade starring Denzel Washington and directed by Tony Scott. Sorry, but IMO the only good movie directed by Tony Scott is True Romance, and that was 14 years ago.

Not to give the movie away, but the premise of the film is that armed men hijack a subway car and demand a ransom for the passengers. Basically, it's terrorism on the MTA, 1970s style. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but do we really need another oh-no-terrorists-terrorize-NYC! movie in the theater? We all know that this remake will go from the basic bad guy wants to mug everyone on a train to full-on special effects with lots of quick cuts, CGI, and the ever-present Post 9-11 message that we are Patriots and America has to root out all the evil in the world! And don't forget a star-studded cast, which will be the only reason people will see the remake. And I'm sure that none of the people who will see it will realize that the film was originally done 33 years ago.

I get really annoyed at Hollywood remakes of movies that are already damn near perfect. There's no reason to remake Pelham 1-2-3. It's got everything anyone could want in a movie: tension, suspense, guns, fast moving vehicles, and of course, Walter Matthau.

No comments: