Saturday, March 01, 2008

Minnesotans Are Winners!

Before my nap today, I briefly looked through the stacks of food and craft magazines my friend Tammy sends me in the mail. For some reason, looking through magazines I would normally never purchase makes me feel better.

The one thing that I kept noticing over and over is that the majority of the contributors and winners of contests in these magazines are women from Minnesota.

What makes women in Minnesota 1) enter crafty, baking, or cooking contests and 2) more likely to win said contests? Is it in their blood? Is it just something Minnesotans enjoy doing? Are they drinking some special water than makes them Champs of the Kitchen? If so, I want in on that action.

For example, this month's winner in the Everyday with Rachel Ray* magazine is Jamie Miller from Maple Grove. She submitted a recipe for the best cheeseburger. Unfortunately, there's no write up on the website, only her recipe for Jerk Pork Cheeseburgers with Green Apple Slaw. If you'd like to read the mini write up about her, it's featured on page 96 of the March 2008 issue. I'm sure the library or your local supermarket is still carrying it.

Also, there are two Minnesotans who had recipes good enough to make it to this years Pillsbury Bake-Off, where the winner gets ONE MILLION DOLLARS! There are tens of thousands of people who enter their recipes every year and to be in the top 100, well, that's impressive for sure. And, since 1960, SIX Minnesotans have won the top Bake-Off prize. I don't know about you, but I'm pretty impressed.

I've been trying to ask the Internets for the past 20 minutes to tell me what's the percentage of Minnesotans that win competitions, as compared to the rest of the country. I'm really curious to know if Minnesotans just tend to win more competitions, or if they enter more, therefore the likelihood of them winning is higher. Why do people in MN like to compete so much? I can't find anything. But then again, I'm pretty sick, and honestly, this might all be a dream right now.





*i'm not a Rachel Ray fan, but I read her magazine because it's free and sometimes it has a good recipe or two

2 comments:

Abysmal Chick said...

It's funny you say that. I was just thinking the same thing while watching the food channel. Every time there is a contest, there is a woman from MN. Don't know the percentages, but it is quite strange.

Honey Bunny said...

yes! you're right! i think i started noticing this when we lived in Boston. it was another reason why i wanted to move to Mpls. sad but true.