Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What Happened to Calhoun Square?

Tonight The Hubs took me to Chiang Mai Thai to celebrate my new job, and as we were leaving we walked through Calhoun Square to kill some time before getting on the bus.

What happened? I'm not a stranger to Calhoun Square, but admittedly, I don't spend a great deal of time there, either. I was so sad to see that so many stores and restaurants have vanished!

What happened to Sox Appeal? What about that cute pet store that had the adorable kitty and puppy costumes? How about the sporty/outdoors-y store across from it? Where did they go?

And last week I learned (the hard way) that Lotus is closed, too! We had planned to meet for dinner there and, well, there was no dinner to be had. I was so sad because I was really craving some Vietnamese BBQ. *Sigh* I loved the Lotus! Say it ain't so!

What's going to happen to Calhoun Square? I know it's taking a turn for the worse, since, you know, Victoria's Secret and American Apparel have settled there. But seriously. I'm nervous. Are the empty stores due to the bad economy or because something else is happening in Uptown? Will Calhoun Square be demolished and replaced with un-needed and unwanted condominiums? Are we going to have to put up with more shitty mall stores? Should I worry that a Hot Topic is making its way to Hennepin Avenue?

Because if that happens, I'm, like, totally moving closer to Lyndale.

No comments: