Friday, May 12, 2006

Can Someone Explain The Way the World Works for Me?

Today I had an interview at a Big Law Firm downtown. I wasn't very nervous about it because the job description is pretty much identical to what I was doing in Boston. It's for an IT job that I'm pretty confident I can do. So I got up early, took my time getting ready, and took an early bus Downtown. I had 45 minutes to kill while waiting for the interview.

When I got up there, it seemed to go okay. The only part that caught me up and made me feel like I'm not qualified is when I was asked to answer all these really strange questions and also rate how well versed I am with certain technology. Here's the thing: I'm the type of person who can be an expert in, say, Outlook, if given a day or two to work with it. I catch on to hardware and software problems in a snap, but only if I'm shown how to do it. I'm the kind of person who is really hands-on and learns things really quickly by doing, not by reading about it in a book. I need someone to show it to me and then I'm golden.

So I got really down about that part of the interview. My heart also sunk when I was told that I was the first person to be interviewed for the position. In my travels in this big world, that's the kiss of death. No one remembers the first person they interview. So that's my bad luck right there. Of course, it'll probably work in the inverse, because that's how messed up my karma/cosmos/fate is.

Why do I say that? Because while there, I got a call from the job I interviewed at on Tuesday. They offered me the job. Now I don't know what to do. I am standing in the rain wondering if I should go over to where the job is (also downtown) and accept the position. So I call my husband and he says yes, I should take the job. I'm still a bit torn because I hate thinking that once I start the job I was just offered, I'll get something bigger and better. Because that's how messed up my karma/cosmos/fate is.

I talk more to The Hubs and he talks me into taking the job. So I walk over and the Assistant Manager is very happy to see me. I proceed to tell her that I will be happy to take the job, and she has me fill out all the necessary paperwork. I start on the 21st. I thank her and leave.

When I get home, I'm met with an e-mail from the U. My resume has been reviewed and will be passed onto the appropriate member of the department. This is the same form letter I got when I applied for my last job there. This is the second step before getting an interview. I'm sure they will call me after I've started the job I just accepted, to offer me their job. Because that's how my luck/fate/mojo works.

I know that I should be happy that nearly every place I've ever applied since moving here wants me. I know I should be overjoyed that people think I'm highly employable and therefore in demand. But it's frustrating when the job that's lowest on the list (and in this case, I'm not unhappy about accepting the position that starts in two weeks. It's just that it doesn't pay well and it's only part time, and I'm going to need more money in the long run) calls with an offer, and when I accept it, the next day all the rest of the prospects call to say they want me. It's stressful for me because I don't like the thought of letting people down, saying "no", or having to quit in order to take something else. It's a major drag.

I guess the good news is that I've got a job. The bad news is that it pays peanuts. The good news is that it's in a place where I fit in and feel comfortable. The bad news is that it pays peanuts. The good news is that the people there seem really friendly, smart, and cool. The bad news is, well, you get the point.

So I guess I have to (once again) ask myself "What's more important? Money or happiness?" And can money bring happiness? The Hubs says "no". I say "it might". I know that I'll have a seriously stress-free job that will make me happy in a week. But will I be able to handle the teeny tiny paycheck that comes along with it?

I guess I'll have to wait and see.


And because I can't go a day without sharing Lola Goodness, here's a picture I took this afternoon as she lounged on our bed. She's such a silly kitty.

Quite Possibly The Cutest Cat Picture In The Universe

No comments: