Friday, November 10, 2006

BORAT: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan



Wa wa wee wa!

Last night, Phillip and I went to Block E to see Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in a very long time. Phillip even laughed! And he's not a big laugher (he laughs on the inside). Actually I was alternating between laughing and cringing and back again.

I'm sure everyone knows the general plot of the movie: Borat takes a journey to the "U. S. and A" to make a moviefilm for his country, Kazakhstan. He's supposed to stay in NYC for the duration of the documentary, interviewing people within the city, but he sees "C.J", the lovely big-breasted, blond haired beauty on a show called Baywatch, and decides he must travel to Hollywood to find her. Complete chaos and hilarity ensues.

There's a scene where Borat sings the Kazakhstani National Anthem to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner. But before he sings to a packed crowd at the local rodeo, he proclaims "I support your war on terror!" The crowd goes wild. These people even cheer when he says "George Bush may drink the blood of every man, woman, and child in Iraq.” It was an awesome scene. That made me laugh, but the older gentleman who talks about how he thinks homosexuals should be hanged, made me cringe.



Another scene shows Borat being picked up by a Winnebago full of drunk frat boys. These guys go off on women, minorities, and actually stated that they believe that slavery should be a part of life again. These guys were dispicable to me, not only because of their comments (that it's ok to sleep with women and then ignore them because they "do not command respect") but because these men are in their early 20s! You'd think that being born in the mid-1980s they would have been taught more tolerance. But I guess not. And it's not just these three jerks in the movie. There are so many young guys who sport this same attitude. They are trying to sue the movie company, claiming that they were forced to get drunk and say those things and that they signed the releases under duress. But you know? I don't believe a word of it. I believe that's totally how they feel. And that's pretty sad.

One of the funniest moments in the movie (at least for me) was the naked wrestling scene. I will not spoil it for those of you who have not seen it, but let's just say tears were streaming down my face. Phillip on the other hand, not so much. He was cringing while I was laughing. See? Something for everyone!

Borat was an excellent movie. It definetly exposes the major predudices within Americans by playing on Borat's naïvety. It's kind of sad to see that there are people in our country that openly hate women or gays, but I can't say I'm surprised about it. I think the movie is a good way to make a statement about who we are as a whole. Plus, it will make you pee your pants with laughter. So go see it!

2 comments:

Julie DuRose said...

I second that!! I laughed so hard I should've been preparing my abs for weeks in advance with strengthening exercises. Although, I did feel really bad for the frat boys' mothers, who must be heartbroken. At least now they now their babies' true character.

Honey Bunny said...

ageed, julie! i feel bad for their mothers, but i don't feel bad for them. alcohol usually brings out the true character in people, so they were voicing opinions that they really believe. well, at least that's my opinion.