Friday, January 26, 2007

One Week Down, Seven to Go

I made it through my first week. HOORAY!

It's not a bad job, although it's pretty tedious. Half of me is kind of annoyed at the mediocrity of it all, but the other half of me knows that I'm there to help the company out of a jam. There is a task I need to do until it's done. Nothing more, nothing less. If I think about it that way, it's not so bad.

The only really bad thing is that my back hurts so bad from sitting all day long. I have to get up at least once an hour and walk around. I don't know if it's the chair, the desk, the position of my computer, or a combination of the three, but man, my back and ass start to hurt after only a few minutes. I'll root around on Monday for a new chair. I'm sure I'll find one. Maybe that will help.

The other temps I work with are pretty nice. Two are much younger than me and two are much older. So I'm left in the middle, trying to relate to each group. I also sit over on one side of the office by myself, which is a bit lonely. But I am quite productive on my own, so I guess it's a good thing. Plus, I can listen to my music without worry, and no one bugs me.

The office is pretty sweet. They have had free food every day this week. Monday was donuts; Tuesday was cookies; Wednesday was fruit; Thursday was bagels; today there was cake. I bring my lunch every day, but if I ever forgot it, I wouldn't go hungry.

Besides the free food, they have a yoga studio! There's a woman who is paid to sit in there at different times each day to give massages. YES! This week I missed the window of opportunity each time. I'll have to sign up for a massage next week for sure. The break room also has the massage chairs hooked up, so I usually sit in one of those on one or two of my breaks. It feels good for a short time, but then I go back to my desk and the pain comes right back. Oh well.

The commute is really crappy, especially since I have to get up at 5:45 every morning to get there by 8. But it's a job which means money in the bank. And since I'm in the negative right now, payday is looking REAL sweet. It's just too bad I have to wait til next Thursday before I get paid. Those are the breaks, I guess.

So in summary, the job isn't awesome, but it doesn't suck. They have all the coffee and tea I can drink for free, which is a big bonus, since at my last job I gave Starbucks $4 every morning. They have free treats, free massages, and the people who work there are very nice and extremely helpful. No one has pissed me off or become my secret nemesis.

Except for the guy who sits behind me. But that's a story for another time...

1 comment:

Something dirty said...

ooh story! tell!