Saturday, May 05, 2007

Como Zoo

Today Phillip and I took the long busride to the Como Park Zoo in St. Paul. The weather was pretty miserable, but we still had a good time.

To be honest, I didn't really like the zoo. It was pretty sad. I am sure this is just my insanity talking, but it seems like all the animals are depressed and sad. The penguins were twitching in the corner, the polar bear was pacing, and the fish weren't even swimming - they just layed at the bottom of their tank.

I guess I'm just used to places like the Boston Aquarium where the penguins are playing and swimming and generally look happy and well cared for. I'm not saying that the animals at the Como Zoo are being treated poorly, but they just seem so sad. Plus, their pens are so tiny, I can't see how they would be happy to be living there. the teeny tiny pen the giraffes and zebra were in made me want to cry. And I don't know why there wasn't water in the polar bear pen. Hello! Polar bears LOVE COLD WATER, so don't tell me it's because it's too cold out to fill the pen (it's something i overheard someone say as we were passing by). What are they going to do in the summer, eh?

Anyway, maybe I'm just a stupid hippy tree hugger of sorts, but the Como Zoo really made me want to free all the animals and let them run free in St Paul. Especially this little guy who just seemed so sad. He sat next to the window and just watched people point and take pictures of him. I wanted to take him home:

Como Zoo


If I ever get a billion dollars in the mail, I'm going to donate it to the Como Zoo to make sure the animals are never sad to be held captive there.

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo

Como Zoo


See all the photos here.

No comments: