Saturday, December 01, 2007

No Coast Craft-o-Rama

I just got back from my second trip to the NoCoast Craft-o-Rama at the Midtown Global Market. I seriously suggest braving the snow and cold to get out there and check it out. You've got about 2 hours left so HURRY!

I went briefly yesterday after work. I saw only a tiny section of the place before having to beat it out of there. So I was super happy when my new friend Molly called me this morning and said she had the day off and would I like to go with her. I agreed and we had an awesome time strolling through, looking at all the great crafts for sale. It was a little overwhelming at times because there was so much to see and so many people in there, but it was a great experience nonetheless.

My goal was to go in and purchase as many things as I could for Christmas gifts, but of course, I spent the most money on myself and The Griffin house than anything. Here are some of the things I bought:

My most favorite thing is this poster by Adam Turman. Everyone knows my obsession with cupcakes, so when I saw this poster I HAD to buy it. It'll look lovely in the bedroom where we desperately need art and color.


Then I bought this awesome cigarette case from Ladyrocket, who is based in Chicago. She had so many awesome things at her table that I just could not decide. I kept going back and changing my mind before settling on this case. I don't smoke anymore, but I still couldn't resist.

Awsome Cigarette case


I started a new medication to shrink the polyps in my nose about a week ago, and now I am finally able to smell things! So I bought a great smelling soy candle from SoyMade Scents that is making my house smell like cinnamon sticks. I love it.

I then found this great booth set up by Giraffe Art & Utility. The woman who makes all those great tile coasters and trivets and magnets teamed up with Adam Turman and made coasters and trivets out of his prints. Oh man, I wanted to buy them all, but I settled on 4 coasters for The Griffins (we haven't a coaster in the house!) and a trivet for my mom.

Tile Coasters bought at No Coast Craft-o-Rama

Tile Coasters bought at No Coast Craft-o-Rama

Hotdish Trivet - Day 65


I think I like the coasters and the trivet the best. I know I said above that I like the poster the best, but hey, a girl can change her mind, right? You should check out their websites if you're into this kind of thing (which I TOTALLY am) for holiday gifts.

And I also purchased a totally adorable necklace for a friend of mine, but I know she reads this blog so I'd like to keep it a secret. But I purchased it from GerriJo, who has the most adorable jewelry I've seen in a while. Like this fishman necklace! I'm sure my friend will love what I got her, so that makes me happy.

So, yeah. If you haven't been there, GO NOW! I did spend way more money than I was planning to, but I'm happy knowing that my dollars and cents went into the pockets of local artists and not some big box manufacturers. You should try it! You'll be amazed at how good you'll feel about your purchases this Holiday season.



after reading through this after posting it, i realized that i say both "totally" and "awesome" way too much. forgive me, dear readers....

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I always end up buying myself stuff when I should be Christmas shopping. Oh, well. I think you have to do a little bit of that. I love the coasters and trivets. I wanted to go to this, but alas I worked both days. I'll have to go next year. It looks like it was super cool.