Sunday, September 17, 2006

Nostalgic Sandwich

When I was a kid, my mom would send us to our Grandmother's house on Long Island for a few weeks in the summer. Each kid took a turn, but it wasn't like my Grannie was stuck with three kids for the entire summer. No. It would be one kid per year for two weeks or so. Anyway, I think I only spent three summers with my Grannie due to the rotation and the fact that I was the oldest of three kids. Once I turned 15 I had to get a job and all that crap, so summers with my Grannie stopped when I was a sophomore in High School. That was a bummer.

Whenever I stayed with my Grannie, I was guaranteed to have the following meals:
  • Pot Roast
  • Kielbasa with Mac-n-Cheese
  • Lasagna
  • Tuna Salad

And of course, her famous BLT sandwich. It's not a normal BLT sandwich, as hers was made of Lettuce, Tomato, and Butter on Wonder Bread. Sounds prettu gross, but man, it sure was tasty. Especially on a super hot, super muggy Long Island summer day. This sandwich takes no time to make and there is little clean-up. I decided to make myself one today, only I used rye bread instead of Wonder Bread. I mean, I am 30 and know that Wonder Bread is made of space-age polymer.

BLT: Lettuce, Tomato, and Butter Sandwich


It was good, but didn't taste like the sandwich I ate in my Grannie's breakfast nook 20 years ago. Maybe it really is the Wonder Bread that made the difference. Or maybe it's because I ate it with my Grannie while we listened to her tiny radio play songs from when she was a girl. Those were the days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would bet it was because it was not with Grannie. I know I am SUPER wierd, I like Wonder Bread still to this day. But it is not all that to normal people.

Lucas said...

We always had hotdogs, popcorn, apple slices and cheese served on TV trays wwith bottles of orange soda. We actually made that very meal the night after my grandpas funeral to honor his memory. Those memories of grans and gramps are priceless HB. Glad you took your trip down memory lane, even if your gran wasn't by your side while you did it.