Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ladytron at the Vancouver Commodore Ballroom



We heard that the Commodore Ballroom was having a secret Ladytron show (meaning it wasn't on their lineup that was posted everywhere) yesterday so we knew we had to go. We missed them when they came to Boston and again in Minneapolis, so we weren't going to pass this opportunity up.

After I got over the shock of the ticket price ($70CA for two), I was very happy to be there. The venue is awesome and gorgeous and huge. The crowd was fun and very interesting to watch. There was one guy who was dancing on his own way before any of the bands took the stage. That was pretty funny. The drinks were expensive, but hey, we're in a foreign country, so what can you expect? I drank the Canadian beer and it was very tasty!

The opening band was CSS from Brazil. I wasn't into them. They had a lot of energy, but they kind of seemed like they were at a high school talent show. I'd never heard of them before last night. The lead singer looked and acted like Belinda Carlile (Go-Go's era) on speed. Weird.

After CSS were finished, we decided to get another beer and then move to the center of the room. Sure, I couldn't see anything, because whenever I go to a live show, it's inevitable that the tallest person or persons will stand in front of me. But I didn't care. The sound was great and the lighting was awesome. I've never seen so many people get down and dance at a rock show before. Sure, Ladytron is electro, but still, it was such a cool change of pace. It was so cool that I didn't care that on one side of me a guy kept bumping into me with his big self and on the other side a guy kept trying to light his joint while other people bump him. Anyway, I danced and danced and loved every second of it.

We left there at about 1am and my ears were ringing. I guess Canadians don't wear earplugs because I couldn't buy them anywhere. That's ok. One night of super loud dance music isn't going to kill me, right? I promptly passed out after eating some Ben and Jerry's and watching people pass on the street below us.

It was a great night and I'm so happy we were able to go to the show. Today is rainy and cold here in Vancouver, so we're going to see "Shortbus" and then maybe go to a museum. Today is our one year anniversary so we're going to a fancy place for dinner and then we're going to the local fetish club for some dancing. I love the location of this hotel! it's right in the middle of EVERYTHING. Phillip made a good choice, for sure.

I wish we didn't have to leave. We've got two more days to go.

No comments: