Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Is This Job Half-Full or Half-Empty?

I'm in the middle of my fourth week at this temp job. That means I have four weeks to go. Or, to put it differently, 18 more work days. I prefer to count down the actual work days, rather than the weeks remaining. It sounds a lot better to me that way.

Today I stuffed envelopes for 4 hours. I made phonecalls for 2 hours, and did internet research for the remaining two hours. Looks like more of the same tomorrow. I really can't complain about this job. Yes, it's mind numbingly boring, but I get to listen to music and audiobooks. Since I got my MP3 player one week into the job, I've listened to the following unabridged books:

  • On Bullshit (boring)
  • Chuck Klosterman IV : A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas (really good)
  • How I Paid for College : A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater (super good, but parts were NSFW! Glad I had headphones on!)
  • Nickel and Dimed : On (Not) Getting By in America (OK, but majorly flawed)
  • The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things (Cute. It's a YA book)
  • Prom (Horrible. Another YA book)
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2002 (Pretty good)
  • A Cook's Tour - In Search Of The Perfect Meal (I'm in the middle of this one right now)

    I've been downloading most of the audiobooks from netlibrary because it's free. I've also got a crapload of audiobooks on hold for me from the library. I just wish it didn't take so long to upload them all to my Vision. I guess it's a small price to pay for being able to get through the workday.

    So I'm getting paid to listen to books! If I wasn't able to listen to the books or music, I'd go bonkers. Of course, I can't listen to them when I'm on the phone, so I try and get my phone calls made before 11 so I can do the rest of my job with my headphones on.

    So, yeah. 18 more work days to go. I'm hoping the temp agency places me with something right after this assignment ends. Something tells me it will be a while before I get another job, but at least now I have money in the bank so I won't be so stressed out.

    That's all for now, folks.
  • 1 comment:

    Unknown said...

    yeah i read Nickel and Dimed. it was ok, but i thought it was a little extreme of an example, and the woman was a bit of too hysterical for my tastes.

    im a temp job too. bad thing is i think ill get hired. and i dont really want to. basically working in payroll for a construction company. literally working in a trailer. boooooooring. and my boss is a bitch.

    but i digress..