Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Brief Rant On Health/Employment in the US

One thing that really gets me is that we, as hard-working Americans, are made to feel guilty when we are sick. It's really unfortunate that our employers come down on us when we're out sick or not feeling well. How is this productive, exactly? You're already feeling ill and then your boss makes you feel guilty on top of it. How is that helping? How can you get better when you're constantly thinking about work and what will happen when you return? Is that healthy? NO!

I'm speaking from experience* here, and I'm sure that many of you have also had to deal with the same thing. It makes me really mad and sad to think that we live in a country that penalizes us for being human. I'm sick. The last thing I want to think about is if I'm going to 1) be berated for staying home and not infecting the rest of the office or 2) lose my job.

And even though I'm still sick, I will be going to work today.


*my present employer is pretty good about this sort of thing, so i feel lucky...right now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne,
First off, I hope you feel better! Second, I agree, and since we are made to feel that way, we go to work sick and infect everyone (like you said) so then they all get to go into work sick and infect more people and on and on it goes. I agree it is frustrating and sad...

Michelle said...

I hope you're feeling better! I totally know how you feel. I am the same way. I am always the person going to work when I'm on my deathbed...which is so silly because I have sick days. It really is our culture. My parents always used to make me try to go to school when I was sick.